~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

3 Ingredient Japanese Souffle Cheesecake... Gluten-Free.

3 Ingredient Japanese Souffle Cheesecake... Gluten-Free. This is the second Japanese recipe that I wanted to share in connection with my trip to Japan. I figured I shared a savory recipe, so it would be only natural I'd share a sweet one as well:). 

I know I shared a recipe for the popular Japanese Cheesecake on a previous post... and it's still an absolute favorite. But ever since I made the Japanese cheesecake, well, I knew I wanted to make a gluten-free version. I loved it so much that I seriously started looking for a GF alternative. I was absolutely thrilled when I stumbled upon a 3 ingredient souffle cheesecake. I mean 3 ingredients?! I truly needed to try it:)... and of course, I immediately put it on my to-do list. So before heading on out to Japan, I made a mental note to buy some Meiji white chocolate... you know, to bring back a bit of Japan with me:). 

This souffle cheesecake only requires 3 ingredients. Yes, only 3... white chocolate, eggs and cream cheese. That's it. BUT, if you want to bring the cheesecake up a notch, try adding your own flavors to it. I love almond extract here, which is what I used in this version, but a citrus flavor also makes it wonderful. Oh, did I mention it's gluten-free?... 

I've really, really taken to souffle cheesecakes... they aren't as dense as regular cheesecakes, and in reality, souffle cheesecakes can totally pass as regular cakes. Plus, the really nice part about them is they don't fall so heavy in the tummy as traditional cheesecakes. And while white chocolate in general can be rather sweet, it adds just the right amount of sweetness here. 

Since the souffle cheesecake isn't overly sweet, it can take all sorts of toppings without it getting excessively sweet. It goes amazingly well with a fruit syrup of sorts... the cheesecake flavor, with berries, is simply delicious. Hope you enjoy...

 Note: You can dust cake with powdered sugar to finish.... or pour a fruit syrup and serve with whipped cream if desired. Drizzle a ganache or be creative as you like. I like it with a dollop of fruit preserves as well... just super delicious! 

You will need: makes about 6 servings 

3 ex-large eggs, cold
125 grams white chocolate (I used Meiji Brand)
125 grams cream cheese, softened (I used Philadelphia brand)

Additional: totally optional, but flavorful... making it no longer a 3 ingredient cake:)

1/2 tsp almond extract, what I used
or
extract of choice
or
1/2 TBS lemon juice/ lemon zest
or
orange zest

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 170C (338F). 
  • Butter and line a 6 inch pan with parchment paper, making sure parchment paper is buttered well and round parchment sleeve extends above the pan by a couple of inches or so. Buttering the parchment paper and pan helps the cake rise to its full potential and making for minimal cracks. 
1. Separate the eggs. Place egg whites in a large bowl and keep in the refrigerator until ready to be used.

2. Break chocolate into pieces and melt in a double boiler over hot water.

3. Add the cream cheese to the melted white chocolate and stir till combined and melted together. 

4. Remove the bowl from the double boiler, add the egg yolks, and mix well. Set aside.

5. Remove whites from fridge and whip with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. 

6. Add 1/4 of the beaten whites into the cream cheese batter and blend well with a spatula. Then add the rest of the beaten whites, 1/3 at a time, folding well until all whites are fully incorporated. I ended up using a large whisk to incorporate the last of the egg whites... and to make sure the whites were fully combined. Make sure you do not over beat the batter though... as it will deflate the cheesecake mixture, and the cake will not rise as well.

7. Pour the batter into the prepared buttered and parchment lined pan. I ended up using a springform pan and so covered the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent water from seeping in. Drop the pan lightly on the counter to eliminated some of the air bubbles from the batter.

8. Place the cake pan on a baking sheet. Pour some hot water into the baking sheet (1/2 inch or so). Bake at 170C (338F) for 15 minutes... then lower the heat to 160C (320F)  and bake for an additional 15 minutes... then stop the heat and bake with the remaining heat for 15 more minutes. 

9. Remove cake from oven and place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool completely.... 2-3 hours. You may notice a few cracks, but the cheesecake will fall a bit as it cools and cracks will eventually disappear.

10. The cake is soft and moist at room temperature. You can chill cake in the fridge before serving....  but it will firm up and become more dense, so leave at room temperature for a few minutes before you serve.

11. Dust with powdered sugar or any topping of choice.


6 comments:

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! Three ingredients? WOW, true!
Love your photos and in the new year, this cheesecake is on my list to do! Thank you!
Cheers! Joanne

Ellie said...

Joanne, Yes, only three:)... amazing, right. Hope you give it a try and like it as much as we did.

Thanks for stopping by... and have a wonderful Christmas!

Alexa T said...

Well! I'm not sure when... but soon I'll do a try and see what is going to happen... So.. only 3 ingredients and the japanese souffle (style) cake will be ready?!!... wow... And then, for sure, I'll try the Japanese Style Salad... But: the truth is that the main difference (versus Oriental salad) is required by the special sauce (with special spices...). Not sure when but I have to try and do the best I can!!
So thankful that I discover "a new window" to see through other eyes the beauty of the world near or far to us...
May you have a cozy Christmas, a cheerful one, full of good friends and the soon coming New Year to be a prosperous one to everybody!

Ellie said...

Alexa, I sure hope you can give it a try... I know I was pleasantly surprised that it uses only 3 ingredients! It's delicious:)... and hopefully the potato salad you will enjoy as well. It's interesting but the salad isn't really "spiced" per se, except for the Japanese mayonnaise, it's basically a typical potato salad. It should work with regular mayo as well.

Thank you for stopping by... always love to hear from you:). Wishing you and your loved ones a warm and blessed Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight and it was a hit. I am a chocolate lover so i used semisweet chocolate chips in place of the white chocolate.

Ellie said...

Anon,Yay! That's wonderful. I love your variation:)! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to stop by and share your feedback. Really appreciate it!