~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Potato Pave...Thomas Keller


Potato Pave...Thomas Keller. When I received the Cuisinart Elite 12 Cup Food Processor, I instantly knew I wanted to make Thomas Keller's potato pave. Truly one unique adaptation of the classic scalloped potatoes. I first saw the recipe on Martha Stewart's website some time ago, probably around the holidays. I thought, wow, what a beautiful dish! If you want to make an elegant side dish, this definitely fits that class! So unique and pretty to look at...not to mention that it tasted incredible! The crispy exterior and the soft inside made for one amazing potato dish. In order to make the potato pave, I needed to have thinly sliced potatoes. What better way than to use my food processor. Thomas Keller uses a mandoline...just be very careful when slicing the potatoes. Those of you who own a mandoline, know how sharp they are. Since I don't own a mandoline slicer, I decided to try the food processor. I had no problem using it. Actually, it was a breeze. Either way, you can use the recommended mandoline, or you can use a food processor, or you can even slice the potatoes by hand, using a good sharp knife. Just make sure they are thinly sliced. Since I didn't have any 1 pounder russet potatoes, I just used smaller russets. It worked fine for me. But if you want, and think it would be easier, use the 3 (1 pound) russets the recipe calls for. I absolutely love recipes that can be made ahead. It's so much nicer ... and I love the fact that it takes most of the stress out beforehand, making for a better experience. In order to fully understand how this dish is prepared, I suggest you watch the video clip on Martha Stewart's website where Thomas Keller prepares the potato pave... complete with step-by-step instructions...just click HERE to watch it. This is one recipe that I will definitely be making again. It won me over. I am happy to share it with you. Hope you enjoy...

You will need: adapted from "Ad Hoc at Home," by Thomas Keller (c)2009.
Serves 6
1 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds russet potatoes (three 1-pound potatoes if possible)
1 tablespoon softened, divided
4 tablespoons cut into 1/2-inch cubes ( I used less)
Canola oil
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 cloves garlic, skin-on, lightly crushed
Minced fresh chives( I didn't have any...used finely chopped red/yellow pepper and fresh thyme leaves)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour cream into a large bowl; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Peel potatoes. Trim all sides of one potato to make a rectangular shape( I didn't bother doing this, as you will trim it again in the final stage). Slice potato lengthwise into very thin slices using a mandoline ( or use a food processor). You will need to toss the potato slices in cream occasionally. It will keep them from oxidizing. Repeat process with remaining potatoes.
Brush a 10-by-5-by-2 3/4-inch-high baking pan with half of the softened butter. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 5-inch overhang on all sides. Brush parchment paper with remaining softened butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Trim slices to form an even layer in the bottom of the pan( I didn't bother as I had some smaller potatoes...I even overlapped them to fill the pan....you basically don't want empty spaces) Repeat process to form a second layer. Dot with a few cubes of butter; season with salt and pepper.
Continue layering potatoes and adding butter and seasoning after every two layers until pan is filled. Fold sides of parchment paper over potatoes. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and transfer to oven.
Bake until potatoes are completely tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the size of pan; wrap with aluminum foil. Place foil-wrapped cardboard on top of potatoes and weight down with heavy cans( I just used another loaf pan and placed the heavy weight(cans) right on top of the second pan )
Let potatoes cool to room temperature. Remove weights and tightly wrap pan.( I left the weights on until the next day...you definitely don't need to) Refrigerate potatoes at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
To serve, run an offset spatula between the parchment paper and pan to release. Using the parchment paper overhang, carefully lift pave out of pan or invert onto a cutting board.
Trim sides of pave and cut into 12 equal pieces; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add enough oil to coat. When oil is hot, add potatoes, cut-side-down, along with thyme and garlic. Cook, basting with oil, until browned on first side. Carefully turn and brown on opposite side.
Transfer potatoes to a serving platter and arrange browned side up. Place a small piece of butter on each and sprinkle with chives( sorry, my pictures don't reflect the chives...I just didn't have any at the time).

3 comments:

Speranta said...

Felicitari ...pentru indemanare si rabdare.Arata super!

Anonymous said...

Wow - this sounds incredible! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I can't wait to try it!

I wish i could take a bit out of your photos :D The presentation is awesome!

Ellie said...

Whisk-Kid, Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment. I think you will like it....we did.~Ellie